Friday, May 05, 2006

Metatarsal Inc.

Thats the most famous bone ( of contention ) in a world rife with soccer fanatics. With the great extravaganza in Germany barely a month away, a certain Wayne Rooney has been instrumental in granting an (o)cult status to this mysterious link in the human skeleton. Breaking a bone was never such a rage and I am not counting orthopaeds there. "Favourites to virtual also rans" seems to be the predicament for the homeland of the good octogenarian queen. I will hardly be surprised if this piece of human anatomy finds itself in prominent positions not only on those panoramic charts the docs display but also on the connoisseur's menu. Boneless would be replaced by "chicken on a metatarsal". They call it the "metatarsal curse". The better half of a member of the erstwhile "Spice Girls" fell to it the last time Asia held its first football world cup. The BBC certainly made no bones in placing the blame on the foot that broke. Ronaldinho's freak effort that sealed England's fate in that quarter final wasnt the foot that figured in the discussion. Next time my creditors come calling, I know the bone to offer to their henchmen. Probably my ticket to superstardom doesnt lie in my own hands, it lies in my own feet.

No comments: